Body lotion can be a solution for a myriad of skincare problems, from a dried out face to sunburned shoulders. Since this product is vital to your skin's health year round, it's necessary to know how to choose the best body lotion for your own skin type if you want to maintain supple, healthy skin.
Choosing the Right Body Lotion
Lotion is vital to all, but since there are several different skin types, how do you know which is right for you? Even if your skin is oily or just right in the moisture department, you still need to use lotion to stay healthy and to prevent as many wrinkles as possible. The following are lotions that work best for various skin types.
Dry skin during the winter months can benefit from a thick, creamy moisturizer. To combat the cold weather, purchase a body lotion that contains glycerin, alpha hydroxy acids, and some sort of petrolatum or lanolin. When it is warmer outside, switch to a summertime light moisturizer that is not greasy or thick in texture.
Folks with normal skin are lucky that their skin is so low maintenance. However, since it rarely acts up, it also tends to be the most neglected of the skin types. If you are blessed with normal skin, it is best to cleanse your skin with a mild wash, and then follow up with a light body lotion. While you are lucky to be among the best when it comes to desired complexions, you can't ignore the fact that your skin still needs hydration to keep looking its best.
Oily skin can easily fool you into believing that it does not need to be moisturized, which leads to premature aging and other damage. For both your face and your body, consider using an oil-free moisturizer that is light in texture. There are many body lotions out on the market for oily skin, and skin care companies often have a whole line of products just for you! Don't dismiss oily skin as a type that doesn't need body lotion. It is still important to keep it touchably soft.
The Best Products
There are a lot of great body lotions out on the market. However, a few of the top products available include:
- Lubriderm Advanced Triple Therapy Smoothing Body Lotion: Consumer Search lists this one as the best smoothing and exfoliating lotion. It won points because even though it's lightweight, it moisturizes very well. This lotion works well for most skin types.
- Aquaphor Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant: Consumer Search listed this one as the best for very dry skin. It's very thick and slightly greasy, but does a superb job of moisturizing chapped, irritated skin. Ninety-two percent of 992 reviewers on MakeupAlley.com said they would buy the product again.
- LUSH Fever Massage Bar: Available at LUSH.com or LUSH counters, the Fever Massage Bar is different from a traditional lotion. Rub the bar over your skin (or have someone else do it for you!) and massage in the residual oils left behind. This product scored high on MakeupAlley.com, with 82 percent of the reviewers saying they would purchase the product again. Normal to dry skin types will like this product, but reviewers with oily skin didn't seem to find it too greasy overall, either.
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: This is a no-nonsense, effective body lotion that contains natural colloidal oatmeal. It's fragrance free and great on sensitive skin. Makeup Alley reviews give it high marks, with 82 percent of reviewers saying they'd buy it again. Though it's effective on dry, sensitive skin, it will work well on most skin types.
- Dove Pro Age Body Cream Oil: TotalBeauty.com gives this a 9.1 rating because it moisturizes, absorbs easily, and smells great without being overpowering. Drugstore.com says this product is designed for dull, tired skin.
The great thing about all of these, besides their effective ingredients, is that they are all relatively inexpensive and, except for the Fever Massage Bar, available at most drugstores. Women tend to spend so much on their skincare, when it is really as simple as getting a quality, economical body lotion that is right for your skin type.
Everyone Needs Body Lotion
Body lotion is a vital cosmetic item for everyone, whether you are male or female, young or old. Always protect your skin with an adequate SPF and lotion before going out into the world. Your wrinkle-free, great smelling skin will thank you.