There are different cracked lips remedies for you to consider to not only ease your pain but to avoid the embarrassment of unsightly lips as well.
Causes of Cracked Lips
Cracked lips can be caused by many things. The outer layer of skin on the lips is thin and not able to handle extreme temperatures. When the weather is dry, lips can easily dry out. Cold air or excessive heat can also make the delicate skin on your lips dry and cracked. Certain medications can also cause cracks in the lips as well as a lack of vitamins or minerals in the diet. Dehydration can also cause your lips to crack. There are allergies to food or cosmetics that can lead to cracked lips as well.
Cracked lips are not only unsightly but they can be painful and bothersome too. Knowing the cause of the problem and trying to prevent it from happening will give you the best results and keep your pout in kissable condition.
Cracked Lips Remedies
There are many remedies for treating cracked lips and the cracked corners of your lips. If your cracked lip condition is due to dryness, stay away from treatments or creams containing alcohol or menthol that can be drying to your lips. Also, avoid licking your lips which will also aggravate the condition.
There are several things to try at home such as applying olive oil or even honey to the corners of your lips where they are cracked and dry. Prevention is the key, so do your best to keep your lips in the best condition possible by keeping the following tips in mind:
- Since dehydration is a cause of cracked lips, try to keep your lips hydrated by drinking plenty of water each day.
- Take a vitamin or mineral supplement. Vitamins C, B and E boost immunity levels and will help protect your lips.
- Use a milder toothpaste if you believe that the one you are using may be too strong and irritating to your lips.
- Lip balms such as Burt's Bees or Chapstick will protect your lips by creating a moisture barrier. Keeping your lips moisturized will prevent them from becoming dry and chapped in the first place. If your cracked lips are infected, look for a lip balm with antiseptic properties.
- Try not to lick your lips. This will irritate dry lips and make the condition worse.
Some other things to try to get your lips in good condition are:
- Exfoliate your lips gently by taking a soft toothbrush and brush it across the lips to remove dead skin. Follow up with a good moisturizing balm or petroleum jelly to heal and protect.
- Avoid products that claim to plump your lips. These products contain agents that can be extremely drying to the lips. Try to use lipsticks that are natural and contain few additives.
- Just like your skin, lips can burn. If you are planning on being outdoors in the sun, use a lip product with sunscreen to protect your lips.
- Sleeping with a humidifier in your room can add moisture to the air and prevent your lips from drying out.
If your lips remain dry and cracked after trying various cracked lips remedies, it is best to consult a dermatologist who can further evaluate your condition.