What is a mole and what does it mean when it appears on your face? They're known as beauty marks and are often associated with some of the world's most famous models, but the actual meaning of moles on the face goes beyond aesthetics.
Understanding the Meaning of Moles on the Face
It may come as a surprise to learn that there is more to moles than meets the eye. A normal mole may be little more than an ignorable dark patch of skin to some. For others, moles are cause for distraction, either because they are highly visible on the face or rub uncomfortably against clothing. Many individuals opt to have their moles removed for these reasons.
Would you remove a facial mole, though, if you knew what it meant? Ancient Chinese beliefs suggest that moles may be lucky or unlucky, depending on their location, color and size. Moles on the face are said to hold particular meaning if they are prominent or if there is only one of them. If there are many moles on the face, however, they are said to have less meaning because their presence is not unique.
Facial Mapping and Mole Meanings
Derived from the Chinese almanac, called the Tong Shu, the meaning of moles on the face can be broken down by location. The face is "mapped" into numbered sections, with each number representing a mole. In order to determine a particular mole's meaning, simply match its location on the face to the corresponding location on the facial map.
Good Luck Moles
Moles in certain locations are said to signify great things in life, ranging from wealth and prosperity to good health and abundant resources. Based on your mole's coordinates, you may be in for some very good luck.
- A mole directly beneath the eyebrows is said to signify intelligence and creativity. These skills may bring fame, success and wealth.
- A mole located directly in the center of the skin above the upper lip indicates the potential to raise a large family, and constant emotional support.
- A mole on either side of the mouth is indicative of a balanced, successful life. Individuals may be rich, famous and live a lavish lifestyle, but also enjoy satisfaction on the home front. Women with these moles may be extremely beautiful.
- A mole in the center of the forehead suggests a creative, hardworking, yet highly carefree spirit. These individuals are great leaders and might be very successful entrepreneurs.
- A mole on either end of the eyebrows indicates a powerful, headstrong individual with great authority. These individuals may be ideal company leaders or business owners.
Bad Luck Moles
For every mole that may be indicative of positive experiences in life, there is a poorly placed mole suggestive of negativity.
- Moles in the center of the nose are bad signs. Individuals may have a tendency to overspend, indulge in gambling and flirt voraciously. Knowing when to stop and resisting temptation are the greatest challenges of all.
- Moles located beneath the eyebrows may suggest discord with extended family members. The associated stress may affect personal and professional aspects of life.
- Moles on either side of the nose are also bad news. They suggest the potential to fall extremely ill.
- A mole located directly on the lip may suggest problems with diet and sexual relations. Weight concerns in particular may be a problem, which in turn may lead to a depression.
When to Be Concerned About Moles
Small and dark, moles are medically defined as groups of pigmented cells. They can develop anywhere on the body and may vary slightly in size and color.
- Watch for changes: Though most moles are not cause for concern, occasionally some may become cancerous. You should be concerned about moles that appear suddenly, change color, shape, size or elevation, cause pain, itch, feel scaly or bleed.
- Atypical moles: Other moles to be cautious of include precancerous moles, known as "atypical" moles. These moles will have an uneven shape or color, may be raised or partially raised. Atypical moles could become cancerous over time and should be seen by a doctor.
What to Believe
If you're a believer in the meaning of moles on the face, you may be concerned if yours fall on a negative spot. Many believers in this ancient art also believe that you can change your own circumstances, and though a mole or face reading may be indicative of certain certain aspects or events in your life, they do not indicate an unchangeable destiny. As mentioned, though, many individuals opt to have their moles removed, and you may opt to do this if your reading isn't to your liking. Assuming the mole is non-cancerous, removal is usually a simple procedure that requires simple and minimal aftercare.