Aloe vera gel is valued worldwide for its soothing properties. To receive the maximum benefits from this natural healer, search for products that are as pure as possible. Pure aloe vera options are available at affordable prices from a number of brick-and-mortar stores and online retailers.
There are many options for purchasing pure aloe vera gel. However, even the products labeled 100% pure will have some preservatives, as the only fully-pure aloe vera gel comes directly from the plant. When purchasing commercially-available products, look closely at the label to make sure that the primary ingredient is aloe vera, and that any additives are natural.
Vitamin and supplement shops are good resources for buying a variety of natural products.
- VitaminShoppe sells the popular Aubrey Organics 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel (4 ounces for about $5.00). Reviewers note that the formula has a more liquid consistency than other products, so it absorbs easily and can be used to moisturize hair.
- VitaCost sells Ocean Potion Skincare 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel After Sun Care (20.5 ounces for less than $5.00). The non-sticky gel in a larger size with a convenient pump top make it a great deal.
Your local pharmacy will likely carry aloe vera gel in the skin care or sun care aisle.
- Drugstore.com also carries Ocean Potion Skincare 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel (20.5 ounces for about $6.00). In addition to soothing sunburn, reviewers note the product helps you keep that summer tan.
- Walgreens carries two kinds of Fruit of the Earth aloe vera. The 100% Gel Crystal Clear variety is packaged in a squeezable tube (6-ounces for less than $5.00). The 100% Pure Gel Continuous Spray allows you to apply a fine mist touch-free to irritated skin (just over $6.50 for 6 ounces).
Mass merchandisers often carry pure aloe vera in the "natural" section of the cosmetics aisles or in the health-food aisles.
- Walmart offers Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel for a great price online (12 ounces for about $4.00). Reviewers rave about multiple uses - from a shaving gel to an acne treatment to a scar healer.
- Kmart offers the Fruit of the Earth line, too, in a 12-ounce bottle for just under $5.
Beauty and Skin Care Retailers
Cosmetics shops and sites carry lotions and creams which include aloe vera, but 100% pure gel may be rarer at these locations.
- The shopping site YesStyle carries the pure BEAUSKIN Aloe Vera Soothing Gel from South Korea (4.23 ounces for about $10.00 U.S.) -- and ships to the United States affordably.
- Amazon carries a variety of aloe vera products, including Puretem Purevera Facial Cream with 100% organic aloe vera (3.4 ounces for about $27.00). It's a pricier option, but it's designed specifically for sensitive facial skin.
Vendors with a focus on organic produce typically stock a nice assortment of pure products.
- Whole Foods Market carries a wide variety of organic beauty products. Locate a Whole Foods near you to explore.
- Your local co-op grocery store is also a good bet. Consult the Co-op Directory Service Listing to locate a cooperative market near you.
- There may also be a vendor at your local farmer's market. You may be able to buy the gel or the plant itself.
Make Your Own
The purest form of aloe comes directly from the plant. Fortunately, aloe vera plants are hearty and easy to tend - even for those without green thumbs. You can cut open a plant leaf and immediately apply its gel to your skin to promote healing and find relief from common burns and itches. Or, you can follow simple instructions for making your own aloe vera gel. Visit your local nursery to purchase your plant, and enjoy the benefits!
The Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the most popular species of the resilient aloe family due to its healing properties. According to the Indian Journal of Dermatology, aloe vera has various antiseptic properties that help inhibit fungi, bacteria, and viruses. In addition, it has been used for thousands of years as a topical agent to help heal wounds. While further study is needed to prove its benefits, most sun worshippers will swear by aloe vera gel as a soothing remedy for sun-weary and sun burnt skin. Regardless of how you're using the gel, finding it in its purest form should be easy.