Don't be afraid to wear sandals this summer - repair for cracked heels is simpler than you may think. There are several things to do to keep your feet in their best condition, not only for summer, but all year long as well.
Causes of Cracked Heels
Cracked heels are a common condition that affects almost every person one time or another. There are several causes of cracked heels including:
- Prolonged standing on hard floors
- Shoes that do not fit properly
- Being overweight can add pressure to your feet causing the heels to crack
- Wearing shoes that expose the heels to pavement or other hard surfaces
- Callus or dry skin around the heels crack often
- Certain conditions or diseases cause cracked heels. These can range from athlete's foot, thyroid disease, diabetes and psoriasis.
- Vitamin or mineral deficiencies can also lead to cracked heels
Neglecting the feet can also lead to cracked heels and other foot problems. Just like you care for other parts of your body, your feet need special attention as well.
Repair For Cracked Heels Products
There are various home remedies as well as over the counter products that can be used as repair for cracked heels. Some home remedies to try include:
- Apply a thick coating of oil or shortening to your feet and wear a pair of thick socks overnight. Repeat this process nightly and your feet should be softer within days.
- Soak your feet in a mixture of lemon juice and water weekly.
- Mix glycerin and rose water to use a foot soak. This will soothe and cure your cracked heels.
- Soak your feet in warm, soapy water, then apply Vaseline and a pair of socks to your feet.
Some products that can be bought over-the-counter that can be used to repair cracked heels are:
- Sally Hansen 18 Hour Cracked Heel Cream. This cream claims to penetrate through layers of skin to soothe and repair dry, cracked, itchy feet and heels for up to 18 hours. It contains ingredients such as vitamins A,C,E, grape seed oil, shea butter and tea tree oil to help deliver fast relief for smooth, soft heels and feet.
- Sally Hansen Just Feet NightTime Heel Repair Ointment eliminates dry heels while you sleep. It is an extra strength, concentrated ointment that will exfoliate and smooth thick, rough, dry heels and calluses. It contains natural ingredients such as shea butter, tea tree oil, soybean oil and natural plant enzymes for maximum hydration and skin renewal.
- Check out Dr. Scholl's For Her Cracked Skin Repair Cream. This cream will protect your cracked heels from the drying effects of wind and cold weather.
- Kerasal helps eliminate cracked heels and soften and smooth feet. It is recommended by podiatrists and is a clinically proven formula for softening even the roughest, driest feet. Kerasal's One Step Exfoliating Moisturizer Therapy Ointment is guaranteed to repair and soften even the toughest, dry feet, cracked heels and calluses when used as directed. It exfoliates and moisturizes your feet in one step.
Daily Foot Care Tips
There are several things to do daily to keep your feet and heels looking their best. Follow these simple tips daily and you should never have to worry about unsightly feet again:
- Wash your feet in warm, soapy water and if you have time soak them for at least 10 minutes. Try to avoid really hot water since it can dry out the skin cells in your feet.
- Exfoliate your feet either by using a gentle exfoliating scrub or a tool made for exfoliation. It is important to remove dead skin to have smooth results.
- Be sure to dry your feet completely to reduce the risk of fungal infections.
- Just like the other parts of your body, your feet and heels need to be moisturized daily.
- Try to avoid walking on bare feet as much as possible.
Another thing to do is to get regular pedicures to keep your heels and feet in great condition all year long.