If you're looking for a soap that improves scars and stretch marks, you're not alone. Many women grapple with the frustrating marks of weight gain, weight loss, and pregnancy, as well as scars. Additionally, men can get stretch marks related to weight gain and scars.
Seeking Soap That Improves Scars and Stretch Marks
Whether you're trying to lessen the look of stretch marks or lighten a scar from an injury, it can be frustrating to go through products that don't work. The appearance of some marks can be greatly minimized, while others may be more difficult to lighten. How effective a product is can sometimes depend on the color and size of the mark or scar.
How to Remove Stretch Marks
Stretch marks result when the skin is stretched beyond its capacity. How long you've had them and how deep their indent is will influence how the marks react to treatment. Here are a few types of products that may help reduce the appearance these frustrating marks.
- Cocoa butter soaps and lotions - Cocoa butter is used to soften skin and contains a chemical called cocoa mass polyphenol, which prevents the production of other skin-aggravating substances. These soaps and lotions can be purchased over-the-counter in many drug stores and at discount retailers. Some believe cocoa butter products can even prevent the formation of stretch marks in pregnant women.
- Collagen-building soaps and creams - Many of these products will need to be secured through a medical professional and should be used on fairly new stretch marks. New marks will still be pink or red in color.
- Natural stretch mark soaps - Many companies create soaps with a variety of ingredients meant to exfoliate and moisturize your skin, reducing the appearance of stretch marks. These soaps usually include ingredients like coconut oils, palm oil, and cocoa butter.
How to Remove Scars
Like stretch marks, other scars change color over time. Small, shallow scars may fade over time, but bigger, deeper scars will need to be treated.
- Mederma - Mederma is a well-known scar-removal product. It also works well for stretch marks.
- Lava soap - Many people swear by Lava brand soap. It's a pumice soap that can help remove the top layer of skin. Follow it up with a gentle moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying out.
- Shea butter soaps and products - Much like cocoa butter, shea butter is known to be a very effective natural moisturizer and may improve the appearance of scars.
Soaps, lotions, and creams aren't the only products that can improve these marks. Below is a list of natural products that will purportedly lessen the appearance of both scars and stretch marks.
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E can be taken orally or topically and should be used daily. Its effect works over time.
- Aloe vera - You can purchase aloe vera gel or use the extract from a plant leaf. This moisturizing substance is used in many of the moisturizing soaps and lotions you will purchase anyway, so give the gel or extract a try on its own. Apply directly to the scar or mark.
- Honey and lemon - Not just for colds, this combination can be applied topically to the site of the scars or marks. Leave on for five to ten minutes and remove with a warm, wet cloth.
There are a variety of natural remedies for this and even soap that improves scars and stretch marks. Additionally, some surgeons perform a variety of invasive or minimally invasive procedures to surgically remove them. For more information, contact your doctor or dermatologist.