For women who shave their legs, trying to keep them smooth can be a trial of endless products that do not do what they are promise to do. Some consider waxing, which is painful. Others consider hair removal creams, which can cause chemical burns. What is a woman to do? Fortunately, it is possible to keep your legs smooth without resorting to such measures or shaving every day.
How to Get Smooth Legs After Shaving
After exfoliating and shaving, skin care to keep legs smooth begins. There are many products on the market that promise smooth skin. However, many of these products contain alcohol which robs the skin of moisture. Look for products that do not contain alcohol or that have it listed near the bottom of the ingredients list.
In the Shower
You can start the process of helping legs stay smooth longer while you are still in the shower.
- Bath soap is a moisture- robbing culprit. Choose a bath soap or shower gel that is moisturizing, such as Dove, not a deodorant or antibacterial soap.
- Wash legs after shaving for maximum benefits of the moisturizers in the soap.
- Baby oil should be applied before drying water off the legs. While baby oil works to seal in moisture, it may not be enough for very dry skin. For very dry skin, immediately after drying from the shower, apply a moisturizing cream instead of a lotion.
- When getting out of the shower, pat the skin dry to prevent any irritation.
The rough feeling that most women feel a day or two after shaving is mostly dry skin. Finding the right moisturizer can be overwhelming. Some of the best products to keep legs smooth include:
- CeraVe® Moisturizing Cream increases the skin's ability to hold moisture. It penetrates deeply into the outer layers of the skin to restore the balance of lipids and to help prevent moisture loss.
- Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Body Lotion is rich in vitamin E and provides deep hydration.
- The Body Shop Body Butter comes in various scents, and are rich in cocoa butter and shea butter - two of the top moisturizing ingredients. Along with cocoa and shea butters, Body Butter contains coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil along with glycerin and lanolin. It is a velvety and luxurious cream that provides deep hydration.
- Olive oil - yes, the kind used for cooking - is one of nature's best moisturizers. It is high in vitamin E and antioxidants that maintain skin's elasticity. It can be used as a lubricant when shaving as well as being used in place of baby oil or lotions. Olive oil has been used for thousands of years for many cosmetic uses.
Maintaining Smooth Legs
Following a few simple steps daily should make the shave last at least four days before hair is noticeable.
- Wash with a moisturizing bath soap after shaving.
- Use baby oil for extremely dry skin.
- Pat legs dry.
- Make sure the water temperature and room temperature are as close as possible.
- Apply a moisturizer within five minutes of exiting the shower and reapply daily.
A daily moisturizing regimen is just as important as a good razor to make a close shave last. Proper hydration is a key factor in keeping skin looking healthy, smooth and youthful. Hydrated skin not only feels better, but will also help prevent razor burn and irritation from shaving. Go ahead and wear that short skirt to show off those silky-smooth legs!