If you've ever dealt with dry, irritated, sensitive or injured skin, you know how helpful a healing lotion can be. Even if your skin is healthy, you can benefit from having it in your medicine cabinet - you never know when you might need that extra bit of soothing comfort!
Why You Might Need Healing Lotion
A lotion formulated to heal the skin is different from your basic, everyday moisturizer. The one you apply after you shower, while your skin is still damp, from head to toe in order to combat dryness is a daily essential. Even if your skin isn't dry, a basic lotion can keep your skin consistently hydrated.
A healing formula, on the other hand, is something very different. As the name suggests, the product is formulated to restore the skin and help it recover from an altered state. Usually, the skin has undergone some form of trauma, is extremely sensitive or suffers from a disorder of some kind.
Types of trauma the skin may be susceptible to include:
- Cracked, dry skin
- Minor abrasions
- First-degree burns
Sensitivity of the skin may be caused by:
- Ultraviolet (UV) ray exposure
- Exposure to various ingredients, including chemicals, essential oils, metals and detergents (to name but a few)
- Existing skin conditions
Common skin disorders include:
- Atopic, contact, seborrheic or actinic dermatitis
- Keratosis Pilaris
All of these conditions may benefit from the application of a soothing lotion that promotes healing, comfort and rejuvenation.
Properties of Protective Lotions
While your basic lotion is likely rich enough to hydrate your skin and give it a smooth feel, a healing version will contain extra ingredients to make it more effective on damaged skin. Skincare product manufacturers rely on a number of specific ingredients to promote wellness and encourage the skin to recover. A few of them include:
- Aloe Vera Gel: Found in sunburn treatments and moisturizers, this gel is expressed from the Aloe Vera plant and is recognized for its ability to heal the skin.
- Almond Oil: Known to reduce itchiness and inflammation, this soothing oil replenishes moisture by providing intense lubrication.
- Avocado Oil: Individuals with scarred skin may benefit from a lotion containing this natural oil. Rich in antioxidants, it not only helps treat scars but also conditions flaky skin (and even flaky scalps due to seborrheic dermatitis).
- Calendula: This natural anti-inflammatory is often found in anti-itch formulas. It's also used to treat skin that weeps or flakes.
- Chamomile: Renowned for its relieving properties, chamomile is excellent for soothing everything from freshly waxed skin to burns and inflammation.
- Comfrey: Cuts, burns, bruises and healing wounds can all benefit from an application of comfrey, which is known to regenerate the skin.
- Emu Oil: Heavily relied on for a number of skin ailments, emu oil soothes everything from rosacea to keratosis pilaris.
- Honey: A natural moisturizer, honey is exceptionally soothing to even the most inflamed, irritated skin.
- Lavender Oil: Found in many lotions, lavender oil relaxes the mind and body, heals skin and encourages cell regeneration, which can prevent scarring.
- Myrrh: Fragrant, with a baby powder-like aroma, this soothing ingredient heals irritated skin and rashes.
- Oat Protein: Found in various body products, oat protein is recognized for its ability to soothe eczema patches and, in some cases, even alleviate them completely.
- Olive Oil: A study recently suggested that olive oil application may diminish the occurrence of dermatitis. This comforting ingredient is especially gentle.
- Tea Tree Oil: This antibacterial agent is useful in healing cuts and scrapes and soothing tired, aching feet.
Products to Try
You'll find a wide selection of healing moisturizers at natural, organic and health food stores (Whole Foods, for example). You'll also find many drugstore products labeled "healing lotion," but keep an eye on the ingredient list for additives that may do more harm than good. Depending on your condition, you may find one of these products helpful. Of course, this is just a taste of the many options available out there.
- Aphrodite's olive oil lotion is a rich, decadent moisturizer suitable for even sensitive skin types. It absorbs easily and leaves the skin hydrated and promotes healing of damaged areas.
- Problem skin doesn't stand a chance against Gold Bond's Ultimate Healing Therapy Lotion. Rough, cracked and irritated skin are alleviated with regular use.