If your anti-aging regimen is in need of a boost and you're hoping to tighten skin naturally, there may be some options available to you. However, it's important to note right from the start that not everything will yield the kinds of results you might hope for. Don't expect a miracle in a bottle or facelift-like results, but do expect improved clarity and texture over time.
The "quick fix" is something every woman has chased after in her desire to achieve something better for her face, body or hair: Instant results are always preferred. Who hasn't longed to achieve brighter skin, a more vibrant mane or a more svelte figure without doing all the work necessary to actually get there? The same applies to tightening aging skin. It's a battle most women will confront at some point, but while some choose to fully accept the changes that accompany aging, others seek to retain a youthful appearance through various means.
The proof is in the burgeoning anti-aging market and the many surgical and non-surgical procedures designed to revitalize the skin's surface, encourage a more youthful appearance and essentially "reverse" the aging process. Of course, there's nothing that can actually reverse the effects of time, but many treatments are now being touted as effective in changing the face of aging as we all know it. Natural remedies in particular are desired, because they offer a painless solution to what might otherwise cost hundreds of dollars, require time off work and cause discomfort.
Making a Difference
Unfortunately, there's nothing quick about making changes to the skin that themselves have developed over time. One might liken it to weight loss; it takes a fair amount of time to gain the weight and will likely take just as long to lose it. Similarly, treating skin problems is much the same. It takes time, effort and dedication. While aging cannot be considered a "problem," per se, many individuals do treat it as such. The real challenge lies in finding a regimen that actually makes a visible difference.
How to Tighten Skin Naturally
Whether you just hope to avoid surgical procedures altogether (and who can blame you for that?) or you prefer to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle, you can count on finding a number of anti-aging treatments that contain natural ingredients. You might also be intrigued by the benefits of using products found right in your kitchen. Natural remedies have long been recognized for their healing, soothing benefits, and there's something spa-like and rejuvenating about concocting treatments within the comforts of home.
If time is of the essence and you aren't exactly Julia Child in the kitchen, you might prefer an over-the-counter product formulated with natural ingredients. Among them are:
- Bieux Skin BioNaturals Power Lift and Repair Serum: Free of parabens, silicones and fragrances, this hypoallergenic product is formulated to combat crow's feet, fine lines and wrinkles. It's touted as a lifting treatment that offers near instantaneous results, and its high concentration of botanical ingredients is sure to please who seek natural regimens.
- Logona Age Protection Skin Firming Gel: Instant hydration can quell the visible signs of aging. This revitalizing gel is infused with green tea, organic horsetail, hops, algae and more, all formulated to tighten the contours of the face and stimulate cells. The result is a more youthful appearance - naturally, of course.
Granted, you don't have to be much of a wiz in the kitchen to concoct natural skin care recipes. Most are quite simple and require very few ingredients. Here are a few designed to encourage your skin to firm up:
Cucumber and Avocado Mask
Cucumber is a terrific natural anti-aging food. It tightens the pores, nourishes the skin and exfoliates to reveal fresh skin. You'll need:
- 1/2 cup cucumber (chopped and peeled)
- 1/2 cup avocado (chopped and peeled)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. powdered milk
Simply blend these ingredients until they're smooth, then refrigerate the concoction for an hour. After it has sufficiently chilled, apply it liberally to the face and neck. Allow the treatment to rest for half an hour before rinsing with warm water. Finish with a splash of cool water.
Peach and Honey Mask
Peaches are rich in alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), natural exfoliants that tighten, hydrate, smooth and reduce the appearance of age spots over time. You'll need:
- 1 med. peach
- 1 tbsp. yogurt
- 1 tbsp. honey
Begin by boiling the peach to softness. In a bowl, mash it completely, then add the yogurt and honey and continue stirring. Apply liberally to the face and neck and allow it to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Finish with a splash of cool water.
Of course, nothing is cheaper or more natural than facial exercises, which require only the use of your hands. They work to tighten skin naturally by applying resistance to muscles that, over time, lose their vitality and tone. Exercising them allows greater blood supply to the area and encourages firmer skin and greater production of collagen and elastin.
- Tone the forehead by placing your index fingers above your eyes. Pull downward and raise your eyebrows at the same time - you should feel resistance. Repeat this process 10 times.
- Eliminate crow's feet by placing your middle and ring fingers around the outer corners of the eyes. Pull the corners toward your hairline, hold and keep your eyes squeezed closed. Again, you should feel some resistance.
- Strengthen cheek muscles by placing your pointer, middle and index fingers on the apples of your cheeks. Push down while smiling hard. You should feel more resistance!